Focus Firm

One of the cool(er) classes we take is something called Focus Firm. In reality, the idea is to get real-world experience with a real company doing real stuff and real things and real whatnot.  I wanted to put the word real in a sentence enough times for it to come across as the primary idea, in spite of the fact that I then made my English teacher roll over in her grave for using stuff and things and whatnot.

So our firm this semester is pretty cool.  I’m not saying I’m in it for the cool factor (it’s a required class and there is a grade after all), but I’m in it for the cool factor.  I mean, getting to take a peek at what a real company looks at and how they attack problems, getting to be a part of the process is pretty neat.  Not that I think that they are going to take our word for it, or that I even think they will take to heart everything we present, just the opportunity to get the experience is good for us.

The more that I take these business classes, the more convinced I am that it is the experience that matters most.  I’m not going to come out of the process perfect and ready, but I’ll have the tools and experiences of rolling with the punches.  I’ll know how to move in such a way as to be valuable for a church (non-profit?) because I’ve had some experiences that another pastor or leader wouldn’t.  This is a project that asks us to apply what we are learning in a new and interesting way.  Like in the real world.

Real experience.  That’s pretty cool.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.