There’s so much out there to learn!

Let’s do this AA-style: My name is Rich (Hi, Rich), and I have a problem.

I want to know everything.  As in, not just most of the available knowledge in the world, but everything.  The M.Div. gets me started down the road that I eventually want to be down, helping me learn just enough to get off and running.  The MBA puts me further down that road, learning how I can help churches to not get into really terrible trouble by having stupid business practices, while also helping my church to be the best stewards possible.

But what degree should I get next?  And is it acceptable to graduate with massive students loans?

See, I’m trying to find the balance between figuring out exactly what level and kinds of education I want to have and when it’s time to move on from formal schooling to the kind of learning that comes as one actually does one’s job.  As I sit in some of my classes, I wonder how it is that I’m going to use a certain piece of information or system of thought, but I know I might need it somehow.

This is the part about “growing up” they don’t tell you about – facing the frustration of being unsure of your future, and having to make decisions that will have an effect on it anyway.

Anybody have a magic 8 ball?  Until I know everything, can I borrow it?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to There’s so much out there to learn!

1. Portia says:

I understand your wanting to learn everything! (Like the 96 year old lady who studied diligently for Bible Study and always knew answers said to a rude lady in the group who asked her why she studied so hard when she was so old and it really didn’t matter anyway. Her reply: I’m cramming for finals!) Most creative and curious want to know everything. But, at some point, you have to put feet to your education, as did Jesus. Three suggestions: University of Hard Knocks and Experience will give you mutiple Ph.D.s– you should you go there. No. 2: Check out Eccl. 12:11b in various versions! No. 3: Begin yesterday putting all that head noggin fodder to work! It will make your future degrees more meaningful and you will have more to give to it. And a P. S.: Don’t let life pass you by while you are trying to get the perfect education (it comes as you travel along life’s highways) AND make some good friends among old people and farmers!