Corporate Culture: How Can Civilization Impact Your Company?

It was my sophomore year of high school when I realized I would no longer be sitting in the back of the classroom. I remember staring at the whiteboard longer than usual, trying to adjust my eyes so that the words would appear less blurry. Nothing worked. After consoling with my mother, she decided it was time to visit my oncologist and consider purchasing a pair of glasses. Unlike other high school students, I was looking forward to picking out something that fit my personality and highlighted my look. Especially because I attended a private school, any additional accessory that separated me from the other students was more than welcomed. Days of browsing resulted in me stumbling upon Warby Parker, an eco-friendly company that lets you try on any pair of glasses before you commit to the purchase. Because they’re an online company, they accomplish this by mailing up to 5 pairs to your doorstep and allowing you to decide which style you want to buy. In addition to caring about their customers, Warby Parker has also created the slogan “culture crushes” to make sure their team is cared for as well.

In chapter 19, Clifford Geertz dives deep into the Cultural Approach of Organizations and the impact culture has in a corporate setting. His first point made refers to his belief that culture is used as a metaphor for organizational life. Though corporate culture can carry different meanings, Geertz sees culture from his point of view, “not something an organization has; a culture is something an organization is” (237). Due to its array of meanings, the concept of culture is difficult to grasp. Rather than narrowing the term down to one sentence, he separates culture from what it is and what it is not. “Culture is not whole or undivided” (237). Every culture is filled with differences, and while they may all be supporting the same concept or idea, there are different roles people acquire to continue the success of that company. Geertz later describes himself as an ethnographer, “one whose job is to sort out the symbolic meanings of people’s actions within their culture” (238). The reason ethnography is present is to discover who people within the culture observe themselves to be and what role they possess.

While many companies like to remind their customers that they are the top priority, those who want to set themselves apart from the rest tend to focus on their employees as well. On Warby Parker’s website, they include a page labeled “culture”, which lays out the ground rules of the company. Standing at number one, they ask to treat customers the way they would prefer to be treated. Followed by this, they aim to “create an environment where employees can think big, have fun, and do good.” In addition to this, Warby Parker has created “culture crushes,” reminding their workers that their level of success is a team dedicated to culture. As mentioned by Geertz, they have formed cultural performances that have only improved their cultural relationship. By hosting events and planning community lunches, the team feels more included in what the company stands for, rather than supporting something that is untrue. Many companies fail to recognize this, and how the satisfaction of their employees can affect how their customers view the company. Lastly, though they are an accessory we unconsciously reach for in the morning or quickly remove before bed, there are many steps that go into making glasses. From creating the parts to drawing out a new design, there are many roles that need to be filled in order to successfully make the product. Even though these are considered differences within the company, they are able to come together and create something that can benefit another individual.

0 comments on “Corporate Culture: How Can Civilization Impact Your Company?Add yours →