Spooky Season

There are only a few holidays that people really like. I’ve never heard of someone saying, “Oh man I’m so excited for labor day. It’s always the best!” More likely, people say something like New Years, Easter, or Thanksgiving.

A lot of people get excited about Christmas. You get to see family, give gifts, and eat some amazing food. That’s not to say that I don’t like Christmas; I do. I love going back to TN and seeing my family, but it’s not my favorite holiday.

I’m all about Halloween.

When I was a kid, there was this house in my neighborhood that always went all out. Trick-or-treaters could hear this house a few streets away. It belonged to the parents of my 3rd grade girlfriend (the pressure of learning my multiplications tables would end our relationship; I would remain single for another 9 years), and it was terrifying to go through when I was little.

They went all out. They had fog machines, music, some of the coolest masks, and this dude that had a chainsaw (without the chain, of course). Every kid in my neighborhood talked about that house, and people would even drive to it to have a look or let their kids stop by. My parents always let me set up our house, so I would put some webs out, a little boombox with spooky sounds, and some small props. At some point, I realized that I wanted to be that house in the neighborhood. So I told myself that once I had my own place and a paycheck, I would start my own collection.

I got married last year, and when October rolled around I did just that. I have spent more than I should have on decorations. In August, I saw a post on one of my friend’s Facebook pages (he’s a professional clown) at Big Lots with a skeleton dog. After that, me and Samantha set up the Spooky Budget; sadly, I already reached the limit, even though it’s not even October!

I’ll put up pictures of our decorations for the year later after we  have decorated 🙂

Anywho. It’s nice to have something not school or career-related on the side with a sense of progression to it. I’m still studying Spanish, but Halloween is something that’s just for fun. My hope is to throw a party, but I’m gonna need John Pham’s help, because I’m not really a party type. My ideal party is a small group with some games, but I want more than just 4 or 5 people to have some spooky fun!

On the academic side of things, it’s somehow already been 5 weeks, so QBA and Accounting are about to be switched out for Finance and Economics. After taking Business Foundations, this first round has felt strangely easy. I’m a bit anxious for the second part (and honestly second semester is going to be brutal).