First Game and First Impressions

Happy Labor Day! I hope you have enjoyed a day without labor.

2 Weeks Into the Program: Time Management Is Crucial

I’ve been in the official MBA program for 2 weeks now, so I’d say that I have a good bit under my belt to share about. It’s been great so far. Now, that doesn’t mean it’s been easy (it hasn’t), but I have to say that Business Foundations prepared me very well. Having to be constantly on top of your toes each day with the reading and chapter homework for three accelerated, daily classes was a good preview for the six classes I’m currently taking.

I feel like it took me a couple of years into undergrad to really “get serious.” My grades were good, but I didn’t always read the text. In fact, for a lot of my generals, I realize now that I was mostly just thinking about getting a good grade. When I arrived at BYU, my classes were more challenging, and I realized I needed to stick to my plan more firmly to make it into medical school. My junior and senior years, I spent a lot more time reading and practicing, ensuring that I was really learning the material; if I didn’t, it would come back to bite me one day.

These study habits are essential in grad school, because come spring time I’ll be heading out on a residency. The more I learn, the better I can grow and serve communities with innovative solutions. The biggest realization I am making in grad school is just how important time management really is. I’m at the point in my career where learning information is something I’m confident in, as long as I devote enough time to it. Concepts don’t trip me up, and cases aren’t really hard to understand. However, in order to learn from them and apply these concepts, I need to devote adequate time, and that’s where the difficulty lies.

I enjoy each of my classes for different reasons. My favorites at this point in time is probably marketing; I didn’t ever take a marketing class, and understanding what drives people to make choices always has interested me. QBA, Management Communication, and of course Col Garner’s storytelling in HPA are of note as well. I’m impressed not only by the experience that my professors hold, but the passion that they bring to the subjects. The best classes I have had were not because of the subject matter but rather the way it was presented by the professor, and these professors are doing great so far.Displaying 0903161310.jpg

Side note: If you’re wondering why there aren’t as many drawings on the blog, see above! I’m

significantly busier than summer. All in all, it feels like I manage it well. I spend time with wife, occasionally study Spanish (but listen to it daily), care for my dog every morning, get all of my work done, and work for my GAs. I don’t get as much in in the way of fitness as I would like, but there’s a bit more going on day to day than just up there!

I’ve also squeezed some time in to shop for Halloween decorations and such, or as Sam and I
have been calling them: Spooky Dates. We have quite the collection building. Some really cool decorations for our first ever Halloween Party, and the first party I have ever thrown. Also, this dog decoration is absolutely ridiculous, and I love it. NO LONGER MAN’S BEST FRIEND.

First Football Game

Image result for robbins healthcare suite baylor

First off, I want to just express how grateful I am to have Bill and Mary Jo Robbins. They are so incredibly kind, and without them I would not be here. Thanks to them, I had the opportunity to meet executives from Hillcrest and Providence hospitals at McLane stadium during my first college football game. It is such an honor to, as a graduate student, experience such a humbling time with sharp executives of great hospitals. Bill and Mary Jo continue to offer truly invaluable opportunities that I wouldn’t have dreamed of even a year ago.

I’m sure that I talked Mr. Turner and Mr. Province’s heads off! Anyone in the program will be able to tell you that I am a man of many questions. I really do love learning, and I’m not afraid to step out of the box a bit and ask slightly bold questions from time to time. It was great having that one-on-one time with two individuals in positions that I one day hope to hold myself. Also, it’s refreshing to be able to have my wife close by in an MBA event. I love Samantha very much, and I’m glad that I was able to take some time during the game to sit with her and just take in the moment.

We also ate some amazing food later that day, and I made constant Forrest Gump references while we were eating some shrimp.
(*Disclaimer on language in the clip below. Drill sergeants can be a bit lewd.)

All in all, I cannot express how awesome this program has been for me. I remember the night before Done In a Day, when I was sitting in my car looking at the Paul L. Foster Campus so that I knew where to go the next morning. I thought to myself that it would be so crazy if I got into this program, how proud I’d be, etc. And here I am 🙂