What Journalism has Taught Me: December 6, 2013

The most important thing Journalism 3372 and Mrs. Cullar have taught me is in order to communicate clearly with many audiences, you must lead with what’s important and keep it simple. Clear communication is not about the flashy words and holding out the good information from your readers like your eighth grade teacher may have told you, but instead it is about getting to the point quickly. In the business world, which I will be in someday, it will be easy to be overlooked if your writing is not impressive. I think this class has taught me how to communicate professionally more effectively than any other class I have taken. I know this will help me in the long run when it comes to searching for a job.

Also, I have truly enjoyed this class when I look back at it. At the time, I saw assignments as annoying and time consuming but overall I am happy we had to do them. I have to say the one thing I hated the most was interviewing. Usually it seemed like it was going to be an uncomfortable situation but it was never as bad as I imagined. It also made me more comfortable with communicating with people I may not have thought to speak with before. I think assignments like this have definitely grown me as a person and I am thankful for that. I believe Mrs. Cullar is right when she said the only way you will get better at something is if you do it often. She may have said this when we were doing our week of writing but I think it pertains to many things in life and I know that is why interviewing got easier as the semester went on.

At the beginning of the semester, I never thought I would be saying this but I know I am going to miss this class. It surprised me how so many journalism lessons could apply to life. Also, I am very happy I switched my class to this class because I could not have had a better teacher! Thanks Mrs. Cullar for making the class a lot of fun and entertaining! 🙂