Personal Leadership Philosophy

Over the duration of this leadership class the values that I feel are the best to my leadership path is integrity, respect, authenticity, humility, efficiency, optimism, innovativeness, and last but not least enjoyment. These values I feel are important because to be an effective leader one’s followers have to be able to feel like the leader has their best interest at heart. With the combination of these values the follower will be able to understand, regardless of situation, that the leader is genuinely there for their best success.

The leadership philosophies that stood out to me in this course was authentic leadership, servant leadership, team leadership and path-goal leadership. In “Leadership: Theory and practice”, Peter Northouse inserts, “People feel apprehensive and insecure about what is going on around them and as a result, they long for bona fide leadership they can trust and for leaders who are honest and good.” This description of authentic leadership reminds me of a child searching for security in a teacher or babysitter. In this world that they aren’t really familiar with they seek to find safety in someone they feel they can trust and has a honest and good intentions. Along with being authentic I feel serving others is another aspect that goes along with being a great leader. Servant leadership also helps bring in my religious background because the ultimate servant leader was Jesus Christ. He served others and didn’t ask for anything in return, this showed his genuine want to serve others. The book mentions one of the ten characteristics of a servant leader is the commitment to the growth of people. As mentioned earlier, Jesus, the epitome of a servant leader, always wanted his followers to grow in the word of the lord. In Genesis, God says he made man in his own image and if his son was a servant leader than all leaders should strive to be servant leaders. Being a part of a team my whole life team leadership is very important to me. Also wanting to go into medicine, being an orthopedic surgeon, I will always be working with a team in my operating room. Northouse mentions, “…,teams with shared leadership have less conflict, more consensus, more trust and more cohesion….” In the operating room the less conflict and more trust and cohesion is needed to save live sand perform surgeries with no issues. Lastly path-goal leadership, the book describes the main goal is to “enhance follower performance and follower satisfaction by focusing on follower motivation.” The growth of followers should be important to the leader and as the leader they should help the follower achieve their goal to the best of their ability.

My perception of leadership has changed a lot from my initial leadership reflection. My main focus of my initial reflection was impact, influence, and inspiration but now ii know leadership goes deeper than those three words. I realize leadership can be described as many different ways and be described by many different things.

0 comments on “Personal Leadership PhilosophyAdd yours →