Week 11 Blog

1,) Ethical Dilemmas

I. An ethical dilemma I thought of before class was assisted suicide. The taking of another life is morally wrong even if it is what the person wants. It is ultimately a hard decision to make.

II. Kitchener’s model regarding “do no harm” is the most significant aspect that makes assisted suicide unethical. Although it is what the person may want, another human life is still being taken.

III. “Respect autonomy” and “do no harm” heavily conflict. The individual has the right to life their own life and make their decisions, however, if the decisions involve another individual doing something that is not right then it is unethical.

IV. A decision would ultimately be hard to come to. If anything, a vote can be taken by very close members to that individual and if everyone agrees to the situation then a decision can be made.

V. Manifesting honesty could possibly conflict with the ethics of a leader. A leader most likely wants to protect his or her followers despite any circumstance. If a hard decision were to be made, it would take the group as a whole rather than a leader.

2.) Ethical Leadership

I. Being a servant leadership could possibly make a leader go through with what the individual wants. Servant leaders want the best for their followers and do what they need to do for the best interest of the followers. On the other hand, an authentic leader or transformational leader may not go through with the decision as they do not solely focus on their followers.

II. Pseudo transformational leadership could emerge as this type of leadership is sort of a “fake” type of leadership. They are more selfish than others and usually use their leadership skills for personal advantage. A pseudo transformational leader could have negative life themes, low maturity, and lack checks and balances which overall allows a rash decision tp be made without any regard of the feelings of others.

3.) Leadership Questionnaire

I. Adaptive Leadership

A.)  * Get on the Balcony is the highest I scored on which allows me to step back and view the situation in a whole. I am then able to make well informed decisions.

• My lowest score is Give Work Back to the People as I try to help everyone and do not want people to feel left out and feel alone.
  • My second highest score was Protect Leadership Voices from Below. I do not find this surprising as I usually always try to stick up for the little guy as I have been there myself multiples times.
  • Last but not least, I find all of these scorings to be accurate in the way the describe different types of adaptive leadership.

B.) One action step I can use is to continue to stick up for the little guy. They usually have the it the hardest and go through a low due to disadvantages. Therefore, I can relate to them and help bring those types of followers up with me.

II. Followership

A.) * Based off of the questionnaire, I fall into the alienated follower category as I have a high independent thinking score but a low active engagement score which does not surprise me.

• I did not know of there being different types of followers. Diving this deep on the concept provides new insight as not everyone likes or is good at being a follower.
  • From experience, sometimes the passive followers are not truly passive. They just need a little motivation and time to get comfortable which then can transition them into a conformist or alienated leader.
  • The type of followers are also influenced by the type of leader they have. A bad leader could have many passive followers whole a great leader can have exemplary followers.

B.) One action step I can take for followership is being a follower more often. I usually like to lead or be a lone wolf most of the time. Maybe being in a group and just following is something that can benefit me and something I would like in the long run overall.