Higher Education & Student Affairs

For more information about Baylor's HESA

Life in the Fast Lane–Student Activities Apprenticeships!

I know a lot of people assume that if you work in Student Activities you must have a lot to do with Homecoming, Christmas on 5th, Sing, or other big programs like that.  But as an apprentice for student organizations I really don’t touch any of that besides as an attendee!  However, Student Activities is a really lively office to work in, and I have the pleasure of sharing a suite with five other GA’s who are first-year’s now—we have more fun than should be allowed at work (shout out to my Grad Pad homegirls)! 

First off, my job title is Graduate Apprentice for Student Organizations and I work under Craig Willie who is our Associate Director of Student Activities for Student Organizations.  I have to lead off by saying that this apprenticeship has been a great experience simply from having the chance to work with Craig.  It’s been such a blessing to have him as a supervisor!  Especially as I had very little experience in Student Activities/Student Orgs coming into graduate school, but he has been an amazing teacher in the learning process for me.  I’ve become so much more confident in my ability to lead, plan events, and work with ambitious student officers over these past few semesters—all things I was lacking in prior to my apprenticeship.  So don’t feel like you have to have it all together before you start your job, it will come with time and good mentoring!

Now, for my day-to-day work, I spend most of my time communicating/meeting with new student organization leaders and working with them through the process of chartering a new organization on campus. The charter process at Baylor is labor and time intensive, so I walk with them through the process from start to finish.  I typically meet with 2-3 new student organization leadership groups or individuals per week, and give them a briefing on the “Steps to Recognition” (which are publicized on our website).  Of the 25-30 groups I meet with during the semester, 40-50% of those will actually pursue a charter for their group.  Then, after receiving their paperwork, I act as a liaison between that group and the Charter Council who ultimately reviews and makes a recommendation for the application to the Vice President.  During this stage, I communicate with the student groups on what they need to do to improve their application (technical edits and/or larger philosophical suggestions from the Council), and I also arrange the Charter Workshop Leadership Series where those leaders are trained on policies, recruiting, and event planning. 

This part of my job is pretty cyclical, so I can easily forecast when my busy times will be in the semester (based on application due dates and Council meeting times).  Beyond the charter process (which constitutes about 75-80% of my work), I also:

• Work with Campus Visits to plan the Bear Fair at Spring/Fall Premieres;
  • Collaborate with several departments to plan Late Night;
  • Present Student Activities information at New Student Orientation sessions as needed;
  • Organize the Dr. Pepper Hour Organization Fair early in the Spring;
  • Coordinate the Fall Charter Ceremony and Spring Awards/Charter Ceremony;
  • Assist the Associate Director and our Coordinator for Student Organizations and Leader Development with leadership training initiatives; and
  • Arrange meetings and prepare materials for the Charter Council while serving as a Council Member
  • Develop and update website publications for Student Organizations

Student Activities will keep you hoppin’ no matter where you are working, however, you have a chance to work with a diverse group of students which keeps every day interesting.  My supervisor always gets a kick out of my daily schedule as it can look pretty random, (i.e. briefing with Lego Robotics Club at 12:30, constitution tutorial with Baylor Powerlifters at 1:45, and meeting with the Unconventional Weapons Group at 3:00) there is never a dull moment!

My best to you all as you navigate the apprenticeship selection process; feel free to email me with any questions: Monica_Sandstrom@baylor.edu

scottshepherd • January 28, 2013

Previous Post

Next Post