We cannot believe that Interview Weekend 2014 is already here for our prospective students! We are just as excited as you all are. After reflecting on our own interview experiences from just one or two years ago, our current students wanted to introduce our top ten tips for all prospective students.
1. Bring extra copies of your résumé. Supervisors will likely have copies, but you may care to bring extras with you for Friday!
2. Bring a jacket. Although it looks like our prospective students are bringing the sunshine with them, evenings can be chilly in Waco.
3. Get excited to connect with current and prospective students, faculty, and potential supervisors. Everyone here at Baylor is so excited to get to know you. And take a look around — you may be among some potential future classmates. Make connections!
4. Use your host as a resource. Your host will direct you to your interviews on Friday, and you may be staying in his/her home, too. If you have questions about the weekend, the interview process, or anything — just ask! Remember: current students have been in your shoes.
5. Don’t compare yourself to others. Every prospective student at interview weekend will have different interview schedules, different strengths, and different experiences with higher education & student affairs. Don’t worry about it. Your experience is your own. Comparing yourself to others can get in the way of you having the best possible experience.
6. Be open to the unexpected. You may come to interview weekend with a certain apprenticeship in mind, only to find that you connect very well with a supervisor in a different office. Be open to opportunities through which you can thrive as a student, as an apprentice, and as a whole person.
7. Take in the Baylor culture and campus. While you’re here, you will have the opportunity to experience our amazing campus. Take it all in! Stand beside the Judge Baylor statue, take a look at Pat Neff Hall, try a Sic ‘Em. Our rich heritage and exciting traditions will amaze you!
8. Wear comfortable shoes. You may have a quick transition between buildings for interviews, and you will feel much more at ease if your footwear is comfortable.
9. Dress to impress. Prospective students often have concerns about what to wear. We recommend business casual for Thursday’s events, and business attire for Friday’s interviews.
10. Most importantly, be yourself. You were selected to attend Interview Weekend for a reason. We are happy to welcome you. We want to get to know you. So show us who YOU are!
We are so excited for you all to get here! Do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns.
The Baylor HESA Family