Community Paramedics Project-First Patient!

For my final project I have been helping out with the development of a Community Paramedics Program.

Over the past few months I sat in on many sub-committee meetings, watched the development of the program in terms of form development, process development, and have had the opportunity to contribute in terms of developing several metrics through which the hospital will monitor the program’s results. I am still helping to tie up this portion of the project and will likely end my project with a good portion of time dedicated to this.

After spending so much time sitting in on meetings and helping out the program, I have become very invested in the program and excited about its potential to impact community members. This week the program was finally launched and the first patient was enrolled into the program.

The program is designed to help the hospital partner with patients as they return to their homes following the receipt of care. To do this, community paramedics meeting enrolled patients prior to their discharge and then follow-up with home visits upon the return to their homes. This allows the paramedics to evaluate the safety of the home, help with obtaining prescriptions, help with setting up PCP visits, and with other healthcare needs.

I am a big advocate of population health initiatives and truly believe that this program has the potential to help many people.The plan is to hopefully expand the project following its initial pilot period!

Erin

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.