Rotation: Endoscopy and Day Surgery

This week I had the opportunity to shadow the Director of Endoscopy, Pre-Op, and Day Surgery. On the first day of my rotation the director spent some time explaining her role as the director and showing me around her departments.

I’ve really enjoyed the opportunity to get to know the department directors at the hospital and to learn about their career paths and seeing different managerial styles. I’ve also enjoyed doing rotations and having the opportunity to meet other individuals to learn about challenges they face in their roles. I hope that as an administrator I’ll be able to connect with employees and find ways to help make their jobs easier.

After getting a tour of her department, the director went over her schedule and told me what she would be having me do for the week. I ended up being able to see patient flow in endoscopy, including seeing several procedures, and also sit in day surgery to understand how scheduling and recovery works for outpatient procedures. In addition to this, I was also able to join her for several meetings including one where products of interest are reviewed to determine whether or not the hospital would like to use them. I love technology, innovation, and products related to process improvement so I really enjoyed this meeting.

Overall it was a great week and I learned a lot. I’m going to be working on the hospital’s business plan in the weeks to come, so I’ll have a break from rotations for awhile. I’m looking forward to learning more about other departments soon!

Erin

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.