“Wow, this is amazing!”

September 2, 2014

Filed under: Fall 2014 — carlosgieseken @ 12:34 am

I’ve driven by McLane Stadium on I-35 a gazillion times. I could see it from a distance looking out the window of the BRIC, where I interned this summer. So I was surprised it had the effect it did when I was walking north from University Parks Drive yesterday, the Law School on my left and the pedestrian bridge leading to the stadium ahead of me. I looked up from furiously texting anyone and everyone I know for tailgate locations when I saw  the stadium looming.

I don’t know if it’s because of the design or because of the placement of the stadium in relation to the path I was walking, but it looked like a docked space ship. It reminded me of the scene in the first of the two recent Star Trek movies when you first see the Starship Enterprise. You’ve seen it before, but suddenly it’s really way more impressive than what you are expecting.

Walk

And it got more and more impressive as I walked up and over the pedestrian bridge. I mean, it looked freaking cool. When I got inside and took up my spot on the student berm behind the  south end zone, I was even more impressed. And I was pleasantly surprised to discover that although the berm was by no means empty, it wasn’t super ridiculously crowded. So the location was a really nice way to experience the game and take in the rest of the stadium.

Inside

The coolest view was looking back from the pedestrian bridge when leaving the stadium at night. (Disclaimer: I had to leave early in order to upload an economics assignment by the due date and time of last night at midnight. Let’s just say I didn’t manage my time well this weekend. I didn’t feel that guilty leaving, since the score was 31-0 and I had school work to do.)

Night

So well done, Baylor University, RGIII, and Art Briles. The house you’ve built is most impressive.