Strategic Planning

July 2, 2014

Filed under: Career — carlosgieseken @ 12:55 am

So I’ve got six months to get a job. This realization hit me a couple of weeks ago, and was quickly repressed. But that time will fly by and if the internship search taught me anything, it’s that waiting until the last minute to begin a serious search is not the way to do it. I need to start hitting up my network like now.

In the spring career and professional development class, we read a book called “The Power of WHO,” by Bob Beaudine. The gist of the book is that you already know everyone you need to know to progress with your career. The biggest challenge is the “what” of the equation. Your friends and family are there to help you, just like you are there to help them. Asking for help is not insincere. That single bit of knowledge was a major world view shift for me, since I always shied away from asking for help because I felt like I would be using people by doing so.

ThePowerOfWho

I learned how awesome my network is as the people in my life are doing some pretty awesome things and have some pretty awesome connections, not to mention great advice. And I also learned people you care about will bend over backwards to help you. It sounds simple, but that lesson will probably be one of the greatest things I’ll take away from my time at Baylor.

That being said, I need to start bothering my friends, because I’ve got a busy Fall semester ahead of me and need to start setting the job search ground work early.