Words from our Summer On-Campus Interns – Dominique

OCIP selfie - houstonDominique Houston interned with the Provost Office – Commencement and Facilities Planning as a senior, marketing and management major from Southern California. She assisted with the move of Hankamer School of Business to the Paul L. Foster Campus for Business and Innovation.  She enjoys watching basketball and participating in social eating events. Here is a summary of her experience:

“My intern experience was phenomenal! I went into this looking for an opportunity to grow and gain experience into project management and came out with valuable life lessons, friends and business savvy. I enjoyed every part of it, except the days when I found out what professionals do on a daily basis…wake up early. It was tough some days with the early mornings to move, class and then back to move. But it was worth it! Anyone you ask in that building would probably tell you that I had a great time and I truly did.

I was able to meet a lot of new people and understand the value of networking. Most days, it didn’t feel like networking but rather talking to faculty and helping them in their needs. I realized that is a huge part of it. People like to see what you can do for them and how interested you are. That showed me that gaining someone’s respect with your work will open up more doors for you. Working on this project was also a great lead-in because I am a student in the business school. This fact also made it easier to relate and explain my goals and interests. Finally, my supervisor was great. She knew just about everyone which also exposed me to many different people. It was also a great advantage to pick her brain and see how she handles everything on her plate. There were many teaching lessons about her ability to multitask and keep everything straight. I learned a lot of valuable things from her this summer.”