Alumni Interviews — Chase Kanaly (’11)

With each year that passes there are more and more BIC graduates doing great work all over the world. Each spring we publish brief “Alumni Updates” where our alumni can tell us some about their post-BIC lives. In addition to these annual updates, we post interviews with our alumni. Today we are excited to post an interview with Chase Kanaly (’11). We hope you enjoy, and if you are interested in being interviewed for a future blog post, email us at BIC@baylor.edu.

What year did you graduate from Baylor? What did you study?

Class of 2011 – BBA in Sports Sponsorship (now Strategy) and Sales with a minor in History.

What has been your journey since graduating from Baylor? What are you doing currently for work/career?

God has truly had a divine hand upon my post-Baylor life! Personally, I continue to date and pursue a fellow Baylor Bear, Lindsay Putnam (BA Business Communication 2013). We have enjoyed World Series experiences and trips to Disney over the years! She continues to be a gift from God! Other amazing experiences that I am thankful for: Being a part a part of a small group leadership team for a church plant in the middle of Downtown Houston. Also, completing my MBA with an emphasis in International Business and Marketing from Arizona State University in June of this year!

Professionally: started back in Houston, took the I-10W to Los Angeles for about a year and a half, then back to I-10 for a return to Houston. In Los Angeles, I worked for Anschutz Entertainment Group running the customer database for the segment of the organization that worked with the Award Shows, Staples Center, and events surrounding L.A. Live! After enjoying my time in Los Angeles and being a part of the 2014 Stanley Cup Championship with the Kings, I returned home to Houston to work for my favorite team, the Houston Astros! As the CRM Manager, I oversee the customer database, helping seat the lead distribution strategy to maximize revenue, and drive data driven solutions for our Sponsorship, Ticket Sales, and Special Events staff. It has truly been a blessing to work among such awesome people!

What do you enjoy most about your work–or what is something you are currently excited about in your work?

Besides being able to look out my window and be reminded of the blessing it is to work for my dream team at my dream job, I just love being able to be in a perfect role where I serve a variety of different departments and get to work with lots of amazing people. I am truly blessed. The Astros’ success over the recent years has made it even more of a crazy journey! Being able to walk across the infield grass to receive a World Series ring is extremely humbling! I love being able to work in an environment that supports me fully and is passionate about making memorable experiences for our fans.

Over the past few years BIC has attracted an increasing number of business students. As a BIC and business graduate, how do you think your BIC education has influenced your work in the business world?

In my job, I wear multiple hats within the Astros organization. At any given time, I could be working with individuals from Ticketing, Sponsorship, Strategy, and Information Technology. I need to be able to adapt my interpersonal skills to a wide variety of people. The BIC provided a great training ground for adapting to people who don’t always share your perspective and/or your experience. We read from a variety of different primary sources, heard from all types of perspectives, and then we had to draw our conclusions. In my career, I have to draw conclusions from the differing departmental goals, and help craft a strategy that puts the Astros in the best position to capitalize on our success.

Do you have a favorite memory from your time in BIC?

Ironically, my favorite BIC memory came as a Freshman. I remember walking into large group for World Culture I, having been instructed that former Professor Dr. Tom Hanks was giving the group wide lecture. After surveying the room during his lecture, Dr. Hanks, motioned to me to provide feedback, and while I have no idea what I said, I remember feeling so nervous and wasn’t sure how my answer would be received. His response, “That’s a very nice thought colleague!” provided instant relief! But in the long-term, I realized that was a moment that gave me the confidence that I could be successful in college.

Is there something you learned in BIC that still sticks with you today?

The work ethic needed to be successful in the BIC is the same work ethic that I apply to my work with the Astros. The challenges of being in an honors program are very much equated to the challenges of the business world. Being in the BIC teaches you about how to solve problems, which is a skill that continues to be a part of my everyday life.

What are your goals for the future?

Professionally, my goal is to continue to find new effective solutions for helping my organizations use data to solve business challenges. My goals are to continue to find strategies centered around creating digital processes that will help the Astros grow.

Personally, I have a long-term goal to start up a non-profit wellness center for helping human trafficking victims on their road to healing.

Do you have any advice for current BIC students?

Engage your professors and get to know them. You have an opportunity to access people who truly care about your success. Never be afraid to ask for help.

Are the Astros going to repeat as World Series Champs this year?

Winning one championship was difficult, winning two in a row would be unreal! I think we have an amazing opportunity to do so.

Is there anything else you would like to share?

Just wanted to give a thank you to Adam for giving me the opportunity to share my thoughts with you all. It is my hope and prayer that BIC continues to shape and mold Baylor students for achieving the goals God has given each student.

I am so thankful for God allowing me to attend Baylor and for a family that has always supported my dreams!

This entry was posted in Alumni, Alumni Interviews. Bookmark the permalink.