Note from the Director — Summer 2014

Dear  BIC alumni,

Greetings from Pune, India. My husband Jeff and I  just arrived after two rather long plane rides (Austin to London and London to Mumbai) and one rather harrowing taxi ride from Mumbai to Pune (and I thought traffic in Austin was bad!).

I’m in India studying at the Iyengar Yoga Institute.  I’ll use this time of intensive study to improve the capstone course on Yoga Practice in Contemporary America. I’ve only had the opportunity to teach the class twice.  It is really a lot of fun!

Yoga has actually been a part of the BIC for quite some time. Some of you may remember the extended learning options at the Waco Family Y and Walter Reece’s home on Oriental Avenue back in the day. The yoga capstone fits nicely with the recent national interest in integrating contemplative practices into the academic curriculum. We have several faculty here at Baylor, among them our own, Candi Cann, who meet regularly to discuss this aspect of the Baylor Experience.

Well, enough about me.  Summer is a busy time in the BIC. We are recruiting a new class,  advising the first year students, moving offices around, and welcoming two faculty (Dr. Paul Carron and Dr. Davide Zori) and two new BIC faculty babies (Carl Haze Wright and Adalyn Wang). In addition, Mark Long is offering World V and Lynn Tatum  is teaching Biblical Heritage here on campus. Several BIC students are studying abroad with the Baylor in Turkey and Greece program. Others are pursuing internships across the land.

Our faculty are busy giving papers and researching and thinking of new ways to improve the BIC. Ten BIC faculty recently completed a three day Course Makeover Workshop.

Well,  jet lag is getting the better of me, so I’ll sign off. If you’d like to read more about my studies in India, you can visit my Thoughts on Teaching Yoga and Philosophy blog.

Sincerely,

Anne-Marie Schultz
Director, Baylor Interdisciplinary Core

This entry was posted in Alumni, Faculty, Note from Director, Study Abroad. Bookmark the permalink.