Summer Faculty Institute
Download application here: Summer Faculty Institute Application
Application due November 5th, 2012
Dates for Summer 2013: May 28 – June 28
Institute facilitators: Dr. Thomas Hanks and Dr. Lenore Wright
OVERVIEW OF THE INSTITUTE
During the Summer Faculty Institute participants will converse about and otherwise explore elements of teaching, research, and collegiality extending from constructing syllabi to managing preparation-time wisely, from enlisting colleagues as critics of our writing to managing writing-time wisely, from serving on departmental committees to taking part in the conversation about what it means to be a Tier-One Christian University.
Principal activities include:
- Exploring the art of teaching while eliciting insights from participants into teaching and learning and adding insights from experienced teachers as well
- Providing guidance about the effective use of technology in the classroom
- Offering reflections about the benefits of team teaching
- Helping participants begin to articulate a plan of coinherence between research and teaching which includes developing a research agenda, a five-year plan for accomplishing that agenda, and ideas about how to integrate teaching and research into a seamless web of productivity.
- Discovering the value of interdisciplinary teaching
- Discussing collegiality at Baylor and in Academe in general.
- Conversing about the notion of service at Baylor: service to the department, to the school, to the university, to the profession, and to the larger community
- Connecting the activities of teaching, scholarship, and mentoring to Christian conceptions of calling or vocation
- Eligibility: members of the faculty who are teaching full-time
- Funding: STARTING IN 2012, selected participants will receive 20% of their annual salaries up to $10,000. Pay is based on a 10-month contract. Employees with a 12-month contract may not receive remuneration for their participation in the SFI.
- Expectation: participants will be asked to give a pre- and post-SFI teaching demonstration during the year in which they participate in the SFI. These demonstrations will be arranged by the ATL at the participant’s convenience and used for assessment purposes only. Any materials related to demonstrations will be kept in confidence.
- Contact: Applications may be obtained by clicking on the following: Summer Faculty Institute Application or from email@example.com
- Deadline: Applications are due by 5 p.m. on Monday, November 5th, 2012. Please mail or deliver a hard copy with appropriate signatures to One Bear Place #97189, Jones Library Suite 206, and email an electronic copy to firstname.lastname@example.org.