Download application here: Summer Faculty Institute Application
Application due November 3rd, 2014
Dates for Summer 2015: May 26 – June 26
OVERVIEW OF THE INSTITUTE
During the Summer Faculty Institute participants will converse about and otherwise explore elements of teaching, research, and collegiality extending from constructing syllabi to managing preparation-time wisely, from enlisting colleagues as critics of our writing to managing writing-time wisely, from serving on departmental committees to taking part in the conversation about what it means to be a Tier-One Christian University.
Principal activities include:
- Exploring the art of teaching while eliciting insights from participants into teaching and learning and adding insights from experienced teachers as well.
- Providing guidance about the effective use of technology in the classroom.
- Modeling team teaching, and inviting reflections about the process.
- Helping participants begin to articulate a plan of coinherence between research and teaching which includes developing a research agenda, a five-year plan for accomplishing that agenda, and ideas about how to integrate teaching and research into a seamless web of productivity.
- Modeling interdisciplinary teaching, and, again, inviting reflections on the process.
- Discussing collegiality at Baylor and in Academe in general.
- Conversing about the notion of service at Baylor: service to the department, to the school, to the university, to the profession, and to the larger community.
- Connecting the activities of teaching, scholarship, and mentoring to Christian conceptions of calling or vocation.
- And, throughout the month of our meetings, emphasizing the absolute need to manage our time in such a way that enjoyably living one’s own life, especially one’s family life (if applicable), remains a top priority.
- Eligibility: SFI is available to full-time faculty with a contract for the upcoming academic year and the expectation of continued employment at Baylor beyond the upcoming academic year.
- Funding: STARTING IN 2012, selected participants will receive 20% of their annual salaries up to $10,000. Pay is based on a 10-month contract. Employees with a 12-month contract may not receive remuneration for their participation in the SFI.
- Expectation: participants will be asked to do a pre and post self-assessment prior to, then in the semester after, the summer in which they participate in the SFI. The ATL will prompt SFI Fellows to complete these two self-assessments, and assures Fellows that the self-assessments will be used solely to gauge the effectiveness of the SFI overall. They will never circulate outside the ATL for any purpose other than as anonymous comments about the effectiveness of the SFI.
- Contact: Applications may be obtained by clicking on the following: Summer Faculty Institute Application or from email@example.com
- Deadline: Applications are due by 5 p.m. on Monday, November 3rd, 2014. Please mail or deliver a hard copy with appropriate signatures to One Bear Place #97189, Marrs McLean Science 274, and email an electronic copy to firstname.lastname@example.org.