Baylor Arts & Sciences magazine, Spring 2016: Q&A with ESPN’s Trey Wingo

Q&A

The Wingo family not only has strong ties to Baylor University, but its members have made important contributions to American journalism. Hal Wingo (BA ’57, MA ’63) was a reporter and editor for Life Magazine and a founding editor of People Magazine, while his son Trey (BA ’85) is a popular anchor and commentator on ESPN. Trey hosts the daily pro football news and information show NFL Live, as well as NFL Insiders: Sunday Edition and the NFL Draft. He also anchors SportsCenter specials and is a regular contributor to ESPN Radio.

In this installment of Q&A, we asked John Morris, who was a television sports anchor before he became Baylor’s assistant athletic director for broadcasting and “The Voice of the Baylor Bears,” to talk with Trey Wingo about his days as a Baylor student and his career at ESPN.

——————————————–

Trey, was working at ESPN always a goal of yours?

Yes. Growing up in Greenwich, Connecticut, I can still remember coming home from Baylor for breaks and turning on the cable and seeing this little station called ESPN. At that time there was a lot of Australian Rules Football on, as well as some other crazy programming, but they also had the NCAA Basketball tournament and I thought, “How cool would it be to be able to come home and work at a place like this?”

Has it turned to be everything you hoped it would be?

Everything and more. My first love in sports has always been football, and for the last 14 years I’ve hosted NFL Live, NFL Primetime, NFL Kickoff, the NFL Draft, and now NFL Insiders Sunday Edition. It’s been great. Add in covering The Olympics as well as both The U.S. Open and British Open in golf –– well, it’s been an incredible journey.

TREY-WINGOHow have things changed at ESPN your time there?

The best way to describe that is to think of it this way –– back in 1979, ESPN started out as the current-day equivalent of a startup blog, and it’s literally turned into “The World Wide Leader in Sports.” It’s been fun to watch that transformation and be a part of it.

There were some well-publicized layoffs at ESPN in 2015. How did that affect you?

It was very difficult. From a personal standpoint it was very hard, but this business continues to evolve and we as a company are trying to do what we think is best to keep moving forward.

You have great family ties to Baylor –– I was in school with your sister Nancy. Was there ever a doubt you’d attend Baylor?

Yes, actually. Almost everyone in our family has gone to Baylor, and there were certainly times where I thought I would be the one to break that mold, but it didn’t turn out that way. I’m very happy for the time I spent there and most of my closest friends are still connected to Baylor in some way.

How did your time at Baylor help prepare you for your career?

Honestly, I didn’t take that part of my education as seriously as I should. That’s on me more than the school, but I was encouraged several times by some outstanding professors to “go for it.” Without them telling me they believed in me, I’m not sure I ever would have.

What stands out in your mind from your time at Baylor?

More than anything, it’s the memories of some great times with some great friends that I still get together with at least once a year on an annual golf outing. It’s funny –– there are so many “big” moments in the college years, but the ones I cling to the most to these days are the little ones, just laughing and hanging out with some great friends.

Could you have ever dreamed of Baylor football reaching the heights it has lately under Art Briles?

I always noticed when I was at Baylor that we as a football program continually pumped out players to the NFL –– more than many other high-profile programs. I always had hopes that it could someday turn into what Art has made it.

Have you noticed a higher profile for Baylor University because of our recent athletic success?

Without question. And that’s not just (because of) Art, it’s what Kim Mulkey has done for the women’s basketball program, and what Scott Drew has done for the men’s program –– and quite frankly, because of all the other programs that are doing so well. So many people outside of “the bubble” know of Baylor simply because of its success in athletics.

Finally, are there any items on your bucket list, personally and professionally, that you can share with us?

Not really. The ESPN job remains fun and the people I work with remain great. That pretty much is all you can ask for.