New Baylor retirees: L. Joseph Achor (psychology and neuroscience)

Some members of the Baylor faculty will be retiring this spring or summer after long service to the University. In this series of blog posts, we asked each new retiree to talk about their time at Baylor and what they intend to do once they step down from full-time teaching.

Dr. L. Joseph Achor, an associate professor of psychology and neuroscience, joined the Baylor faculty in 1978. Achor has earned four degrees: a BA in psychology from UCLA in 1971; MA degrees in biology and zoology from UCLA in 1972; and a PhD in biological sciences from the University of California, Irvine, in 1977.

Achor IMG_9902 (2)

(L to R): Baylor President and Chancellor Ken Starr, Sharon Achor and Dr. L Joseph Achor at Dr. Achor’s recent retirement party

———————————

I was raised in Anaheim, California, and earned my bachelor’s degree at UCLA and PhD at the University of California, Irvine. I came to Baylor to have an opportunity to teach and conduct research within a Christian community. My primary teaching has been Sensation and Perception, History of Psychology, and Introduction to Psychology.

The characteristic of Baylor students that has been most noticeable is a sincere desire to make a difference in the world. As an advisor to three student groups in psychology and neuroscience, an advisor to junior and senior neuroscience majors, and a member of the pre-healthcare committee, I have had an opportunity to learn from many students what events had shaped their lives and how they wanted to make a difference in the lives of others. Their stories and passion encouraged me to help them be successful through delivery of knowledge, challenging their thinking, assisting them through difficult academic and personal challenges, and providing them with guidance as they prepared to leave Baylor to seek advanced training or to enter the workforce.

My colleagues in the Department of Psychology and Neuroscience have been very supportive in my efforts, which has enabled me to “be who I am.” My most fond memories of my time at Baylor are very personal and familial, dating back to my early days at Baylor when I would walk my children across campus to attend the Baylor Nursery School and later when we attended Baylor football games, Homecoming and other events. In later years I enjoyed having lunch with my wife during breaks from her being an academic advisor.

Retirement, the next chapter of my life, will initially focus on spending time with my family, which now includes four energetic grandchildren. After transitioning from an active life as a professor, I hope to channel my youthful energy into helping others achieve their dreams.

My last semester has been filled with many “lasts” — last lecture, last exam (of over 1,000), last faculty meeting, last committee meeting, etc. These have been surreal. My years at Baylor University were capped by my retirement reception the first week of May, when faculty and other colleagues from across the campus, community friends, and family gathered to celebrate my many years of service. A gold BU watch from my departmental colleagues will be a lasting memory of the wonderful time I have been blessed to have at Baylor.

–L. Joseph Achor

6 Responses

1. Evelyn Daugherty at |

Joe,

I am Evelyn Totty Daugherty – niece of Faye Achor. My Mom was Helen Totty and she passed away in NOvember — I will be emptying her house this week and it suddenly dawned on me that the big scales she has came from Doc Achor’s office. I mailed you his dominos earlier but have misplaced your address. I wondered if you might want the scales. I will be in Abernathy on 9/122 – 14th. Please call me if you receive this note 317 496 8749

Reply
  2. bill oxley at |

Wow! Joe! Sharon! What a wonderful picture and it sounds as if you’ve had a wonderful life! Congratulations!
    Best wishes,

Bill Oxley
    UCLA ’70
    Acacia #720 (and I still haven’t been to Egypt..)
    http://www.billoxleyvoiceovers.com

Reply
  3. bayu at |

Is this education really useful and what is the great thing about making this article?

Reply
    1. Jay Karlson at |

Greetings from the future, bayu.

I studied under Dr. Achor, and the answer your looking for are “yes”, and “Dr.Achor”, in that order.

Reply
  4. Phil Bryant at |

Dr. Achor,

You were my favorite and most inspiring professor at Baylor University (BA, Psychology, 1993)!

Thanks for the encouragement.
    Dr. Phil Bryant, Ph.D. (Management, 2009)

Reply
  5. Jenniffier Mahand at |

Dr. Achor,

You were a wonderful professor and your class Sensation & Perception was among, if not my very favorite. I loved the content, but your presentation and spirit truly created a quality learning experience. You also wrote me a recommendation letter when I was applying for medical school; your faith in me helped preserve faith in myself. I know I am one of hundreds of students, and do not expect you to remember me, but I will always remember you!

Thank you, many years later!

Dr. Jenniffier Mahand (Eady), MD
    Baylor University 2003

Reply