Six Reasons Why You Should Join the Baylor Golden Wave Marching Band

By Maggie Malone

Just because you’re not a marcher doesn’t mean you should skip this article. On the contrary, the Golden Wave isn’t an uncommon sight to see on campus, this post will give you a piece of insight as to who we are. Who knows, you may be pleasantly surprised!

Ahhhh, spring. The sun is out, the flowers are blooming, and oh, what’s that? It’s audition season! That’s right ladies and gents! With that first footstep onto our campus, you’ve entered the home of one of the most tradition-steeped organizations on campus, the Golden Wave Marching Band! (Usually referred to as BUGWB, pronounced BUG-wuhb)

I came from a small, rural Missouri high school marching band, so making the leap to a large (to me, at least) collegiate Texas marching band was quite a jump for me. I had so much to adjust to when I arrived at pre-season week at the end of summer. In fact, I hadn’t even met anyone in my section because I sent in my color guard audition by video.

But joining BUGWB was one of the best decisions I have ever made here at Baylor. I’ve absolutely loved the experiences and all the fun I’ve had with this organization. Over the past couple of seasons, it’s become very near and dear to my heart.

Without further ado, here’s why you should join our 300+ member family:

1. Tradition

As I hinted above, BUGWB is pretty old. We’ve been around for over 100 years! But besides that, the band itself has its own traditions we pass down from class to class over the years. We’ve let some traditions go, as we moved from Floyd Casey Stadium, but at the beginning of a new era of marching in McLane Stadium, we’ve embraced some new traditions as well! And not all of these traditions are serious. In fact, some of them are downright crazy. For example, there’s Spirit Fridays, where we wear different costumes to practice, depending on the theme.

band 1

2. Free Stuff

I shouldn’t have to list anything else, because at the mention of “free food” you should all come running. I know that after a few hours of hard practice, we certainly do. On game days, we cater food from nearby restaurants, like Jason’s Deli or Chick-Fil-A. On bowl trips, we also eat at some pretty swanky places as well. But wait, there’s more! Not only do you get free food, you get some pretty cool gear! Because BUGWB is sponsored by Nike, you get a ton of Nike apparel. While you do have to pay a fee, everything you acquire over the marching season more than covers that.

band 3

3. Awesome Behind-the-Scenes Access

By this, I mean that, as part of the halftime entertainment, you get to experience things that no one else really gets to. You get to know about all the inner workings of things, and visit places that no one else sees. You get to be on the front lines of all the action. It’s exhausting, but pretty cool too.

band 4

4. Football Games

Speaking of exhausting, game day is one of the most bone-numbing days of the semester. But don’t let that scare you. Those were some of my favorite days. Hours and hours of practice, short nights, and lots of standing all fall away when we take the field to perform our pre-game and halftime shows. And afterwards, the crowd doesn’t just cheer. The sound that the thousands watching make is closer to a roar. It’s enough to cheer your heart and lift your spirits. The feeling is truly indescribable. Another thing. You don’t have to fight with the rest of the student body for tickets because there’s already a seat at the stadium with your name on it! And by name, I mean a sticker. Everyone loves stickers, right?

band 5

5. Bowl Trips

Now, even though Baylor lost both of the bowl games that I attended, I still had a blast. Bowl trips are even more tiring than regular game days, because we have to be there a few days before, but these trips are fantastic. Besides practicing, we always are given the opportunity to enjoy delicious meals and fun activities. When I went on the Fiesta Bowl trip, we got to eat at a restaurant that you entered via slide!

band 6

6. Shenanigans

Yes. These do happen. Many of my best college stories come from BUGWB. From buses breaking down on the side of the road, to nighttime hotel explorations, to twenty color guard members cramming under a blanket in the cold, BUGWB can often seem like one unplanned adventure after another. But that’s one of the reasons that makes it fun!

band shen

Now I would be lying if I said BUGWB was smooth sailing. But the memories you make and the people you meet become some of your favorite things at Baylor. It’s an absolutely thrilling experience, and I’m glad that I’ve had the opportunity to experience it. Sadly, I won’t be marching this fall, as I’m studying abroad, but next fall I’ll be back on the field. That’s the thing about BUGWB (and Baylor too, for that matter). You miss it when you’re away, or on the off-season, but when you return for another year, it feels like home.

band last