Valentine’s Day with the Flamingos

By Marisela Martin

To be honest, Valentine’s Day in college can definitely leave you feeling lonely if you don’t have that special someone or someones to spend it with. So this year I decided to take a proactive stance! I decided that I wanted to do something for someone else, instead of just focus on how lonely Valentine’s Day can be.

The co-ed service fraternity Alpha Phi Omega hosted a service project at the Cameron Park Zoo here in Waco. I had visited the zoo once before as part of an Environmental Class Lab, but nothing would have prepared me for what this service project would have entailed.

When we arrived, the coordinators told us that our options would include “dirty, dirtier or dirtiest,” work. That was definitely true. I volunteered to go with a group that would work with flamingos. Little did I know that I would be volunteering to clean out the flamingo habitat! From sweeping up leaves and mud to standing in muddy water to clean the drain. Leaving with soaked shoes and muddy clothes, my Valentine’s morning was one to remember!

But all the sweat and mess was worth it! The flamingos got to enjoy a clean area and I even was able to pet one – they are very soft birds. Needless to say, there is newfound respect for zoo caretakers; they are real heroes in ensuring that everyone can successfully enjoy the zoo! So next time you find yourself in Waco, definitely visit Cameron Park Zoo!

Unfortunately I wasn’t able to take photos but here’s a link so you can check out more: http://www.cameronparkzoo.com/

Until next time, Sic’ Em!