“This is My Home”

By Frances George

Do you remember when you first set foot on your college campus as a freshman, wondering what the next four years would hold, what memories would be made, would you leave any mark on the campus? Well, if you didn’t think those thoughts, I’m sure your mother did!

I have just returned from a wonderful weekend at Baylor with my daughter. A few weeks ago, Mary Scott called (actually texted…) and asked if I would come to Baylor for Kappa Mom Day, an afternoon set aside for the members of the sorority and their moms to make a memory or two. We painted sunflowers, 300 sunflowers between us!

They were beautiful in every way, the sunflowers and our daughters. Lots of laughter and Michael Buble music in the background – oops, the playlist had a few stray Christmas songs in it which made for even more laughter! The day before, 91 new initiates to Kappa Kappa Gamma had celebrated their newly acquired sisterhood status with a luncheon at the stunning Baylor Club in McLane Stadium for new sisters and their families. As I sat with Mary Scott, who had served as recruitment co- chair for these new sisters and now as social co-chair, in charge of planning the luncheon, I looked around and thought, how lovely this event is. And as the new sisters were named and lined the wall of the great room, I wondered what their future at Baylor would hold, what mark will they leave.

Saturday night, I took Mary Scott and her dearest friends out to dinner where I shared with them the Top Ten Bible verses on love. It was Valentine’s Day after all! I read the verses and applied a life principle for college, friendship and (one day) married life. I encouraged them to wait for God’s best, to not settle regarding a husband and to live life to the fullest here at Baylor, being a true friend on every level, as the verses said. I think the girls appreciated “Mrs. George’s Program.” (I always have a program!)

Sunday was full of early morning brunch with Mary Scott’s friends and their moms, followed by the painting extravaganza. We had a few minutes between events and headed to Common Grounds, the local coffee shop, and I felt like I was on the set of Cheers…as we walked in and there were friends galore all calling out “Mary Scott! Hey! And here’s your mom! Welcome!” After a much needed cup of caffeine, I returned Mary Scott to the Kappa room and then I headed to the local grocery store, the HEB (pronounced HEEB) to shop for Mary Scott while she attended a Kappa Counsel meeting, a friend’s birthday party, dinner squeezed in with a few special friends, and Sing practice until 11:00 PM (to say this was a full day, is an understatement!). One of Mary Scott’s friends had earlier announced to me, “Mrs. George, Mary Scott never sleeps! She’s always doing something for someone or for some event. We surely do love her.” By about 7:00 PM that night with three events still to tackle before bedtime, I realized the truth in the statement!

Before heading to the hotel late Sunday night, I returned to Common Grounds alone. One of Mary Scott’s best friends works there and I wanted to thank him for being such a supportive, kind and thoughtful friend. He said, “That’s easy. She’s great.”

Why do I write these things? It is not to tell you how special my daughter is. You see, Baylor has a campus full of Mary Scotts! Their names are Ashley, Hannah, Mason, Emma, Timmy, Cole, Michael…the list goes on and on. No, the reason I write this is to let you know that Baylor is a most special place that develops the most special people for life. It welcomes young adults and four years later graduates mature adults, able to plan events for 230, followed by events the next day for 300, to counsel friends in need, to find a life’s calling in counseling just by spending time, filling days doing life.

While having dinner with Mary Scott on Friday night at Diamondbacks, the only evening we had alone, Mary Scott said something that made my heart smile and reminded me that all the things I had wondered that first day on campus Freshman year, were truly coming to pass. One little statement was the hallmark of the weekend for me. And I watched the truth of the statement unfold before my very eyes over the weekend as I watched in amazement all Mary Scott and her cadre of friends had accomplished through such beautifully planned events. Mary Scott said, “Mom, as I was walking on campus last week, I had a thought as I looked across campus. I guess it’s kind of corny but it is true. This is my home.”

A truer statement has never been uttered.

As I flew out of Waco on Monday morning, I reflected on the zillions of things I had observed in my daughter’s life over the course of the weekend. And I was reminded of her Friday night comment and smiled as the plane climbed and I looked down on the now familiar campus: Baylor is her home. And what a lovely home it has become. I hope it will be your student’s home as well. You will not be disappointed. Welcome to Baylor. Welcome home.