To Future Torch Bearers

By Patara Williams

To: Torch Bearers

RE: A Treasure

As I look forward to graduation, I glance in my rear view and see four wonderful years completed.

I have gleaned wisdom from wonderful friends, impeccable professors and loving citizens from this very community. Not to mention the fact that I did so at one of the most beautiful institutions on the Earth. These days will never be duplicated. My undergraduate time has come to a close.

Here is my plea to you:

Whatever you do, do not forsake any of it. Don’t miss the little things, like free meals on the Quad. Definitely don’t miss the big things like Homecoming. Most importantly, don’t miss the crucial things, like building life-long relationships.

Yes, academics are important, but at the end of the day…the most valuable thing that you’ll receive from this institution may not come from a diploma tube.

I’m different…totally different from who I was when I walked into the doors of Baylor University four years ago.

I can study. I have mastered my major. I can hold a conversation with a stranger. I can manage my time and money. My faith is stronger. I’m fearless. I’m devout. I know what I believe and why I believe it. I could keep going because the lessons are innumerable.

Simply said, I’m thankful for the opportunity I have had to embrace a legacy and leave one along the way. For those that come after me, please continue the legacy and carry the torch with much grace.

Thank you Baylor University.

Sic ‘Em Bears.

Patara Williams