Keeping Perspective During Finals

By Jaziah Masters

It has come that frantic time in the semester when classes are ending and finals are coming. Meaning, this is the time, for better or for worse, to reflect upon the semester and see how it turned out. What did I do that worked? What didn’t? Do I have any regrets? What can I take from this semester to help me with the next? These are all questions that come to my mind as the semester comes to a close.

One of the biggest thoughts I have about this semester can be summarized in two words:  Sophomore Slump. I’d heard about this dangerous precedent early on in my semester, but if I avoided the Freshman Fifteen, surely I could avoid the dreaded Sophomore Slump, right. Well…not exactly.

I’ve come to learn that the Sophomore Slump is not exactly what it sounds. The many transitions that college freshmen face is nothing that should be slighted. In fact, it is the undoing of many unprepared fellows. But sophomore year comes equipped with its own unique set of circumstances.

While freshmen year is about taking the first steps into collegiate life, sophomore year is about taking the first steps into your collegiate career and beyond. What I am doing now will impact the opportunities that I have in the future, both in college and after college. I came to this vital realization only midway into my semester. What worked during freshman year will not necessarily work this year, or in the years that follow. There is no magic formula to do well in “college.” One must be adaptive in their approach and realize the varying dynamics that are playing a role.

With a progressive course load, more leadership roles, life off-campus, work-study, volunteering, clubs and organizations, the plate begins to fill up in the ongoing years of college. I believe this is why time management is such an important skill to practice before, during and after college. There is so much to take into consideration as one furthers their college career, and on top of all of this is the all-mighty GPA, a value of not only you as a person, but your capabilities, right? Well…not exactly.

A number does not and will never define you. In fact, all of the aspects that make you a human individual are impossible to quantify. It is essential to remember this, regardless of what societal pressure may say. This is not to say you should let your GPA go by the wayside, but instead, know there are many more components of your college experience that will contribute to the person you become. Look at your own personal growth, which is a key indicator of how far you’ve come. Whenever I’m in doubt, I ask myself a simple question. Did I come to college for a GPA? To which I answer with a resounding, “No!”  I, along with so many others, came to college for the growth, for the like-minded people and for my own personal mission. Those are the things that are essential to invest time in. Again, not to say that GPA is unimportant, but it does not define you.

I say all that not to complain, but to simply reflect on the situation at large. No semester of college is truly easy. Each and every one will present different challenges. But taking time to reflect can provide insight that can be invaluable to succeeding in any endeavor:  School, Work, Life.

Pic 1