Finding My Place with Baylor Football

By Jay Fankhauser

What do I like most about Baylor? Baylor has numerous opportunities for students to get involved and to contribute to the university’s culture by doing something that they are passionate about. In my case, as a freshman, I was given the opportunity to work as an assistant video coordinator for the football team, and I have done this job for the past two years. It has been a unique experience, traveling to road games and bowl games and filming practice everyday.

Working closely with the coaches and players in a sport that I enjoy and have spent my life around has increased my sense of pride in Baylor and has helped me find my place.  Working in the athletic department provides me the opportunity to be a professional in a learning environment. Going to school with 13,000 other students is drastically different than my high school experience, in which my graduating class consisted of only 250, but you can be as involved on Baylor’s campus as any school in the country because of the great amount of opportunities.

Positions to lead and innovate are everywhere at Baylor. Students run Baylor, and it is by students contributions that the university will continue to grow.  While others may have different experiences like student government positions or professional jobs on campus, students can actively make an impact at Baylor. A tip for you high school seniors – when you are applying to schools and you talk to admissions counselors at different universities, ask how great of an influence the students have over the university and if students have the opportunity to work professionally during their undergraduate careers. It is incredibly beneficial for students to be involved in an environment outside of the classroom.

Have a warm October, and Sic ‘Em Bears!

Pic 1

Taken before the Fiesta Bowl in Glendale Arizona

Pic 3

Jack Trice Stadium in Aimes, Iowa, through the lens.

Pic 2

Following the final game at Floyd Casey and Baylor’s first BIG XII Championship