Proverbs in Action

By Jaziah Masters

Around this time of year, many in our Baylor student body make their way south to go to the legendary Austin City Limits Music Festival. I’m told it is a wonderful experience for all.  But this weekend, I found myself in Austin for a very different reason.

Pic 2

Because I serve as a Peer Leader with the Office of Community Engagement & Service, I was given the opportunity to travel to Austin to participate in the No Need Among You Conference (NNYC). I had no idea that I was about to have an experience unlike any other in my collegiate career. Unlike every other conference I’ve attended, the NNYC revolved around the idea of service. During the weekend, we were shown how to become better service leaders, we became aware of the issues facing America and the world and we met some wonderfully inspiring people, all while being surrounded by a warm and nurturing Christian community.

This year, the Conference was held in East Austin at Greater Mt. Zion Baptist Church.  East Austin itself is a very beautiful and unique neighborhood (In fact, it reminds me a lot of Waco). When we arrived at the Conference, we all were presented with various workshops to go to. In the main room, there stood a big banner to remind us all why we were here.  It read, “’Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy.’ Proverbs 31:9.” Some of the workshops I got to attend were: “To Serve This Present Age,” “The Church’s Active Response to the Growing Phenomena of the Sex Industry” and “How to Dialogue to Bring About Racial Reconciliation.” All of the sessions were led by passionate and informed leaders in regards to their issues. We were shown ways that we could assist in their endeavors and given information we could take back with us.

Pic 3

Overall, the Conference was a wonderful opportunity to grow in so many ways: my faith, my local, national and global awareness, my leadership capabilities and myself as a person. I am so grateful to have had the opportunity. It is something so special about being able to sit with likeminded people from all walks of life and work toward a higher, yet common purpose. I would strongly encourage everyone to go next year, so please mark your calendars – October 14-16, 2015!