Construction Zone

By Diana Cates

A certain peace filled my heart as I made the 75 mile trek back toward Fort Worth for Fall Break. It was my drill weekend for the Marine Corps. Unlike most Baylor students packing up their cars to go on mini vacations or settling in for a weekend catching up on Netflix, I was readying my uniforms to report in for three days of training. It was exciting to get off campus and get back to my military roots. During my seven years in the military, I gained a family only comparable to my flesh and blood. The bonds and ties that I formed with my brothers and sisters in arms is something I still cannot explain to civilians, but it is unbreakable. And the truth is that ever since getting off active duty, my heart has been aching to be with them again. We all crave that comforting sense of familiarity, but I think it is when we are out of those zones is when we truly discover who we are and what are our passions. Being at Baylor has opened my eyes to career goals I haven’t had since I was a teenager, and I have to say that is from the untarnished, thriving optimism and faith that radiates from the campus.

My relationship with Christ has grown so much stronger, and with every passing day, my path gets more aligned with him. Consequentially, my relationships with others are more genuine and healthy. Through fellowship with God, I have begun to open my heart in love and acceptance, and this has transformed my life to an abundantly rich one. During this weekend, I witnessed just how different I was from fellow Marines . . . a difference that wasn’t present two months ago. It was amazing how my leadership capabilities and skills had already evolved. So much of my life has changed, not because of Baylor but because of the core morals and values associated with it. Christ is glorified here on campus, and whether you are a believer or not . . . you too will have a sign on you that says “Construction Zone.”

53955_10151133310544132_273480366_o